Thursday, July 3, 2008

craziness of love, circle of life at the urinal, pringles from heaven

Hey everybody!

I’ve missed you too (and stop sending me nasty e-mails heaping shame and condemnation on me for not blogging ;)….oh no…the dilemma of putting two regular parentheses in a row to make the cute, sideways winking face…but I guess this aside makes it OK again).

Let’s play “Name-that-random-tune-in-between-paragraphs” again.

(It’s hard to believe, that I couldn’t see)

Some things in my life have changed lately to change me perspective on a lot. I was thinking the other day of how frustrating it can be to be incapable of expressing affection to the degree you would like to…so that someone can really accept it and grab ahold of it.

(That you are always right beside me)

Then I began to wonder if this very scenario could be part of the reason that God Almighty came up with the plan to send His Son….the dearest thing in all the universe created and in God Himself, uncreated to a world who would never accept Him to die on behalf of those whom He created and yet hated Him anyway. What could be a greater, more crazy, extreme scenario to show someone that you love them than to give what is more precious to you than your very self to them and for them?!?!?!?! I mean, come on!!!! That is just crazy!!! What kind of unquenchable love is that!?!?! It just makes me want to learn to accept it and walk in it with my head held high because He has made me worthy, through that very gift, to be the recipient of inexpressible Love. I really want to do that. Just to accept it and so honor Him, the Giver.

(thought I was alone, with no one to hold)

I mean, what does life look like to a person who learns to receive that and leave the self-doubt and self-consciousness behind him/her and just be loved?!!??! Let’s find out, huh? What else have we got to do in our 2-3 minutes on this pebble?

(but you were always there beside me).

I know, I started off kind of heavy this time, but it’s been bubbling in me for a bit now…had to get it off my chest.

(this feeling’s like no other…I want you to know)

Have you ever been really thirsty, but have to pee at the same time?
Follow up question: Have you ever drunk (not been drunk, but been in the process of drinking liquid) at the same time as you were peeing? If you think that is gross, just skip the next few lines. I do this from time to time because I think it’s neat to have a continual flow—incoming and outgoing at the same time. When I do this, I can’t help but have the song “Circle of Life” from the Lion King playing in my head, which ultimately leads to Hanukah Matata, which sends me singing and dancing a little. This is when I notice all the other men at the urinals quickly leaving the premises (did I mention this is taking place in a public restroom?). Anywho….

(I’ve never had someone who knows me like you do… the way you do)

I imagine that one of the universal wishes of mankind, since the creation age, has been to have a portal (or at least a long tube like at the bank) which reaches all the way to heaven and dispenses fresh Pringles potatoe (Dan Quayle spelling) chips anytime that one wishes. I can’t find this wish in the Bible or in any ancient (or modern) literature, but I know in my heart that it is in the deepest desires of men and women across the globe.

(I’ve never had someone as good for me as you…no one but you)

Reading Exodus this morning, I began to notice that the Lord very intentionally put the Israelite escapees in a really difficult position with no “outs” but Him. So often, our western theology leaves no room for Him putting us in a tough spot where He is our only option. Man, I’m glad he does it. Our lives in this country are so unbelievably cushy that we can live a lifetime without every really feeling need (like the humans in WALL-E). I don’t want to look back on a life without struggle some day. There is so much to learn through pain and work and disappointment. There’s so much joy to be had on the other end of these things.

(So lonely before….I finally found...what I’ve been looking for)

As much as it pains me to do so, I’ve decided to ask Him for the whole gauntlet of what is possible here on this planet. We’ve only got one shot to experience Him through faith, while we have eternity to know Him by sight—face to face. I want to take full advantage of this short time. I ask You, Lord, to show me comfort for what it is when it doesn’t come from You. I’ve got forever to be comfortable. I’ve only got one shot at chances to walk through fear in You and to step out and risk in You. Let me/us take full advantage of these opportunities until you let us come home to You forever.

I’m off to Kansas City tomorrow for a full band show. I love KC!!!

Keep in touch and I’ll try to do the same. Sorry if I grossed you out.

1 comment:

Charlotte J. said...

Okay Chuck. I'm a VERY visual person so the image of you and your continuous flow is not something I want to have floating around in my head all morning long!! NE-EH-VER do that again! Now, on to less traumatic topics. I have been in situations lately that appear to have "no outs" but what I have begun to do is I literally praise Him and say, only once, "Thank you Lord for this opportunity to exercise my faith." After that, whatever happens to be troubling me, I expel it from my mind and put it in His hands. Works for me!